Build Log: CPINTS Cool Practical IKIKUINTHENUTZized NAVIG Tech Station

This is a discussion on Build Log: CPINTS Cool Practical IKIKUINTHENUTZized NAVIG Tech Station within the Cases and Modding forums, part of the Technology category; I introduce a brand new modification project presented to you by IKIKUINTHENUTZ with the famous and elusive Navig Tech Station handmade by Navig himself with ...

Register
Register Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Build Log: CPINTS Cool Practical IKIKUINTHENUTZized NAVIG Tech Station

I introduce a brand new modification project presented to you by IKIKUINTHENUTZ with the famous and elusive Navig Tech Station handmade by Navig himself with design aided by Thideras!

Now let me let you know the little history about Navig Tech Stations how this particular station was transferred to my ownership and why I am modifying this hand built wonder.

Back in 2007 a little wonder named Navig on OCF & Abit forums (now dead) was creating something called, Navig's AWESOME DIY station. He created a thread to record his progress http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=528477 and began building his little monsters.

The project was simple, to create a better tech station that was easy to work in and cost less than the competition. Long story short the project was successful and he begin taking orders for his made stations.

Link to where he sells it. You need to be OCF member and have 100+ posts to view it.
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...ighlight=NAVIG

One month after the success of the first station. A little OCF member named Thideras posted on 12-30-07 to request Navig himself to build a station to exactly to his specifications. Navig obliged and a custom design was created just for Thideras.

Details of this transaction is located in this link but to view you must be a member of OCF and must have 100+ posts to see this thread
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=541522

An image of Thideras using the station

In 06-19-2008 Thideras was selling this hand made wonder. I, IKIKUINTHENUTZ did not hesitate jumping on to the deal. Ownership of the station was transferred.

I used the station for my work, testing products, a temporary parts holding before transfers, overclocking. Day by day I hated the station not because of the usefulness and functionality, in three simple words, it was ugly. :sick:

Honestly I am a picky ass ******* when it comes to looks. Being a Lian li OEM case owner or my love for those shiny Thermalright rip off heat sinks and my awe for those nice practical (acceptable for everyday use) case projects other people posts, this fella I had no love for, I abused the poor thing without care because I just didn't like how it looks. The ugliness became so much, six months ago I dismantled the ******* and stowed it away in my closet.

In may I finished my HTPC project (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=5001 , http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=5026). Soon after I was cleaning my closet, I found this little monster dismantled. I forgotten about it but I remember why I took it apart, it was ugly. I didn't want to throw it away but to store it into the garage. Later I went into the garage and found black and white spray paint my dad doesn't use anymore. It begins.

While painting the parts without much care, I thought to myself, " hey these screws are fugly" I went online to mcmasterscarr.com and order a tons loads of button cap screws of lots of sizes to replace the zinc coated fellas with stainless steel socket button caps. It looked very nice but soon after I was done. Fun money ran out and I halted the project completely.

Until a few weeks ago with my funds rejuvenated I was pondering if I wanted to continual this project or just stow it again. Thankfully the new XS member whuzabi inspired me with his white murder mod. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=225829

Me and whuzabi talked and we shared ideas. Long story short, the chat made me decided I'm going to put some major effort into this into something worth while!

I found some old paint used long ago when my room was being painting. I also went to a Local Ace hardware store and got some spray polyurethane stuff (I might exchange it for the brush on type).

I sanded off (more like BSed it) the old ugly spray paint I used and decided to use rollers to paint the wood in order to put the most amount of effort into it. First is primer. I'll keep you guys updated, enjoy. I have some plans to help me get this aided and done.

Current Sponsors:
    NAVIG

Legal Disclaimer:
    I Andy (aka IKIKUINTHENUTZ) is not the original concept owner of this bench station. All concepts sans alterations by me are owned and created by Navig (aka Ivan). All images and work may not be reproduced without consent from me or Navig.

7-05-09
    Clean, Primer, Sand, Clean, primer, Sand, Clean, Prime, Sand, Sand 60 grit, Sand 150 grit so far Im almost to a even flat sexy surface

then I look to the sides

:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

Clean, Prime, awaiting sanding :cry:

Update on primer guys

I'm almost freaking there!

220 grit

But the sanding kept going and going and I couldn;t get lower in some parts which got me completely confused, so I decided I'm just gonna put the last darn coat on to fill those itty bity dimples (to the left of the screw holes).

After this, NO MORE FREAKING PRIMER. Sand, clean, and then SEMI-gloss paint!

Looking great. I wish I had the skill and determination to build things like that And apart from that I'd need the tools
    Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 | Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL/ OCZ Behemoth | OCZ Alchemy Elixir

the paint job is a huge improvement

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    Looking Good
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

That does look very nice, good job !

I actually like white benching tables after seeing them. I went with Black for the Dimas Tech table and it really shows the dust on it.

Tech Geek
    The look is a great improvement.

I gotta build me a test bench since my backup rig is sitting on a piece of wood on the floor.

Final Primer sanding done, I didn't have time to get to paint but it will be done very soon

I got too curious in my own nature and I decided to rub Computer printer paper (92) to see what it can do

Holy crap! printer paper is a good polish

Pics don't even finish loading because my internet's so slow
    Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 | Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL/ OCZ Behemoth | OCZ Alchemy Elixir

The black and white really gives the setup a much more professional feel instead of looking like something put together from spare parts in the garage.

I decided to keep some texture because without texture, it's boring

Now here is a close up and what your seeing is the surface with water based wood finish for a hard shell for protection. Acrylic Primer, Acrylic Latex paint, then Acrylic finish

now the next thing on my agenda is a complete redo of the metal bar paint

As you can see the paint is chipping away, flaky and just plain bad and peeling.

These are going my aides (the good kind) and both are advertised to be best on aluminum. Only missing is mineral spirits but she's too busy stripping

Tech Geek
    Definitely looking good. Definite improvement.

Chris

Looking good man! You could've dropped some body filler in any of the dimples you wanted to fill, might have saved you a few coats of primer
    MOBO:___EVGA x58 SLI________________________EVGA 780i
    CPU:_____I7 920 DO @ 4Ghz(Unless Benching) ____ Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz(355x9)
    GPU:_____3x GTX 285 _________________________ 3x EVGA GTX 260 216
    PSU:_____Enermax Revolution 1050W ____________ Corsair 850TX
    RAM:_____6Gb OCZ Platinum @1600 Mhz_________ 8Gb Gskill @1066 Mhz
    OS:______Vista Ultimate 64Bit ___________________Vista Ultimate 64Bit
    Heatware

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    Ya know I have a thing for lacquer it is smooth, shiny and more durable than paint. Just a thought for the future.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast