HDMI wall passthrough

This is a discussion on HDMI wall passthrough within the Digital Home How To Guides forums, part of the Digital Home category; Having a computer in every room for media playback is great but there are times when the PC itself can be an eyesore or in ...

Register
Register Button
    Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar

HDMI wall passthrough

Having a computer in every room for media playback is great but there are times when the PC itself can be an eyesore or in the way.

If you need to hide the PC and access the functionality here is what you can do.

Find a location for the PC such as a closet or even an adjoining room.

This is a home media server mounted above my incomplete pantry:

The mission is to use it as a playback device as well as a server. To do this requires less than 100 dollars in parts, screwdriver, box cutter, pencil, something to put a round hole in the wall (I just used a screw and wobbled out the hole because I did not want to wake up the kids with a drill) and two drywall anchors of appropriate size for your faceplate mounting screws.

First you must get the components for this:

The pass through

Two HDMI cables (one from PC to pass through and one from pass-through to TV), Wireless keyboard and mouse and a USB extension cable.

Begin by marking

Next cut your hole with your box-cutter; mind the depth as not to cut any wiring (I have customized this home and run the wiring myself so I am aware of wire placement). Disclaimer for my protection and that of tech-Reaction: If you are worried about this read no further as I nor tech-Reaction are liable for your mistakes.

Next install appropriate mounting anchors

Attach plate

Run lead from PC to pass through and hook up wireless keyboard/mouse (I had to run my 2.4 Ghz TX/RX unit for the KB/Mouse in the wall with a 4 foot USB extension to avoid the reflective insulation)

Install TV

A remote power on switch may be needed if your PC is in an inaccessible location such as this unit. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I suggest using Gold plated connectors for all AV work. It makes absolutely no difference in the quality of digital media but they also will not corrode in a harsh environment. Just saying.

For a wall pass-through from one room to another you will need an additional 3 foot HDMI cable.

Any questions? Feel free to ask and I will help in any way I can.
    Last edited by Archer; 05-30-2011 at 01:09 AM.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Very nice
    You know what the max length for HDMI are these days?
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

I have seen 18' but I think they can go quite a bit further.

EDIT: WOW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812270217
    Last edited by Archer; 05-30-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Great idea Archer. Wanted to do that myself for a while now, even have a 25' in wall rated HDMI cable I bought a few years back to make the project happen *sigh going to have to update it for 1.4 spec probably if I go 3D tv. (doubtful)
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

I figured the Intel dual (clark) was enough to play movies and serve media at the same time. If it is not I could always get an i7 or a quad i5 but I don't want to because of the location and heat.

EDIT: I have no idea why I posted that
    Last edited by Archer; 05-30-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    Current Active Fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I have seen 18' but I think they can go quite a bit further.

EDIT: WOW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812270217
    Wow indeed wiki says ~50ft is possible, so 100ft might be pushing it But depends on what you use them for as well I guess.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

I have to wonder what they are pushing that signal with. I don't know the specs on HDMI but I know there is resistance so the power must overcome this resistance.

Side note: Personaly I think the next move will be some sort of optical cable.
    Current Active Fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Side note: Personaly I think the next move will be some sort of optical cable.

Intel Light peak?
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Intel Light peak?
    Don't know I have not even looked into it I guess that could be an option though if it has the price/bandwith. I really think we need a ▄ber wire capable of carrying video, audio, massive amounts of data and I/O all at the same time.
    Current Active Fleet:

Its supposed to carry everything you can transport across PCIE.

Intel is developing it and Apple is supposed to be interested in it. So no, it probably will not have a good price point. Not for a couple of years after implementation (IE, it will be available on motherboards as integrated parts for 2 years before the peripherals that use it are worth considering purchasing)

TRN Modder's Club