ACTA: SOPA/PIPA were a distraction

This is a discussion on ACTA: SOPA/PIPA were a distraction within the General Chat & Discussion forums, part of the The Pub category; Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! Months before the debate about Internet ...

Register
Register Button
    Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar

ACTA: SOPA/PIPA were a distraction

Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
    Months before the debate about Internet censorship raged as SOPA and PIPA dominated the concerns of web users, an international treaty was signed that would allow companies in China or any other country in the world to demand ISPs remove web content in the US with no legal oversight whatsoever.
    Under the provisions of ACTA, copyright holders will be granted sweeping direct powers to demand ISPs remove material from the Internet on a whim. Whereas ISPs normally are only forced to remove content after a court order, all legal oversight will be abolished, a precedent that will apply globally, rendering the treaty worse in its potential scope for abuse than SOPA or PIPA.
    Not good at all. I was for SOPA/PIPA but not this.

Going over it now: http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2012/01/20120125acta.pdf

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/0...ased-acta-text
    Last edited by Archer; 01-27-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Months before the debate about Internet censorship raged as SOPA and PIPA dominated the concerns of web users, an international treaty was signed that would allow companies in China or any other country in the world to demand ISPs remove web content in the US with no legal oversight whatsoever.
    AntiCounterfeiting would be intimately aimed at China being the largest counterfeiter in the world.

(TL;DR will do it later lol)

Worst case scenario. Everyone will have a big hassle for while and the pirates and the downloaders will continue on with only a minor hiccup. In 5 more years another highly public takedown will occur that will have all the little ones running around like crazy for a month and then go back to business, albeit slightly differently.

Who gets screwed?
    Last edited by Neuromancer; 01-27-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    AntiCounterfeiting would be intimately aimed at China being the largest counterfeiter in the world.

(TL;DR will do it later lol)

Worst case scenario. Everyone will have a big hassle for while and the pirates and the downloaders will continue on with only a minor hiccup. In 5 more years another highly public takedown will occur that will have all the little ones running around like crazy for a month and then go back to business, albeit slightly differently.

Who gets screwed?

ARTICLE 12: PROVISIONAL MEASURES

1. Each Party shall provide that its judicial authorities have the authority to order
    prompt and effective provisional measures:

(a) against a party or, where appropriate, a third party over whom the
    relevant judicial authority exercises jurisdiction, to prevent an
    infringement of any intellectual property right from occurring, and in
    particular, to prevent goods that involve the infringement of an
    intellectual property right from entering into the channels of commerce;

(b) to preserve relevant evidence in regard to the alleged infringement.

2. Each Party shall provide that its judicial authorities have the authority to adopt

provisional measures inaudita altera parte where appropriate, in particular where any delay is likely to cause irreparable harm to the right holder, or where there is a demonstrable risk of evidence being destroyed. In proceedings conducted inaudita altera parte, each Party shall provide its judicial authorities with the authority to act expeditiously on requests for provisional measures and to make a decision without undue delay.

3. At least in cases of copyright or related rights infringement and trademark counterfeiting, each Party shall provide that, in civil judicial proceedings, its judicial authorities have the authority to order the seizure or other taking into custody of suspect goods, and of materials and implements relevant to the act of infringement, and, at least
    for trademark counterfeiting, documentary evidence, either originals or copies thereof, relevant to the infringement.

4. Each Party shall provide that its authorities have the authority to require the applicant, with respect to provisional measures, to provide any reasonably available evidence in order to satisfy themselves with a sufficient degree of certainty that the applicant’s right is being infringed or that such infringement is imminent, and to order the applicant to provide a security or equivalent assurance sufficient to protect the defendant and to prevent abuse. Such security or equivalent assurance shall not unreasonably deter recourse to procedures for such provisional measures.

5. Where the provisional measures are revoked or where they lapse due to any act or omission by the applicant, or where it is subsequently found that there has been no infringement of an intellectual property right, the judicial authorities shall have the authority to order the applicant, upon request of the defendant, to provide the defendant appropriate compensation for any injury caused by these measures.
    http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2012/01/20120125acta.pdf
    Well this is a problem.

Where is due process?
    Last edited by Archer; 01-27-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Current Active Fleet:

i was about to post this article too.
    in all reality, i have no problem with SOPA, PIPA or ACTA and think that something along the line of this is/was way overdue. but i do also think that all three of them are overdone and extend much to far into the infringement of constitutional law, plus they are much too vague and have little to no provision or supervision.
    what really scares me thou are the people that are supposed to enforce it. again, no oversight, provision and obvious disregard to the people.
    it has already started and here is a little taste of the medicine
    Emily Bunting and Leigh Van Bryan: UK tourists arrested over 'destroy America' Twitter jokes | Mail Online
    Last edited by BoT; 01-31-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Codisha | Farm | F@H | Heat

This; without clarification, makes SOPA look pretty good.
    Current Active Fleet:

no time to waste, the super bowl is here
    Feds Seize 307 Sports Domains Ahead of Sunday's Super Bowl

Wonder how many were legit sites? Most I bet. They would have had warning under SOPA.

I reposted in a couple of places.
    Last edited by Archer; 02-03-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Current Active Fleet:

Leigh Van Bryan, 26, was handcuffed and kept under armed guard in a cell with Mexican drug dealers for 12 hours after landing in Los Angeles with pal Emily Bunting.

I am sorry but that is just funny!! If you are going to act like idiots you should be treated like idiots. He desereved what he got ... If some middle eastern wrote the same thing on twitter he would of been shipped off to some "unknown" location and probably never heard from again. So they got off lightly ...
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

"A flyer designed by the FBI and the Department of
    Justice
    to promote suspicious activity reporting in internet
    cafes
    lists basic tools used for online
    privacy

as potential signs of terrorist activity.
    The document, part of a
    program called 'Communities Against Terrorism,'
    lists the use of
    'anonymizers, portals, or other means to shield IP address'
    as a sign
    that a person could be engaged in or supporting terrorist
    activity. The
    use of encryption is also listed as a suspicious
    activity along with
    steganography, the practice of using 'software to hide
    encrypted data in
    digital photos' or other media. In fact, the flyer
    recommends that
    anyone 'overly concerned about privacy' or attempting to
    'shield the
    screen from view of others' should be considered suspicious and

potentially engaged in terrorist activities. ... The use of PGP, VPNs,

Tor or any of the many other technologies for anonymity and privacy

online are directly targeted by the flyer, which is distributed to

businesses in an effort to promote the reporting of these
    activities."

Do You Like Online Privacy? You May Be a Terrorist - Slashdot
    Current Active Fleet:

ACTA Update - it's not over until it's over
    BBC News - Acta: Germany delays signing anti-piracy agreement