Home server over HDD shared on network?

This is a discussion on Home server over HDD shared on network? within the General Hardware forums, part of the Technology category; I was just thinking about this today ... Is there really any reason to have a home server over just a few extra HDDs shared ...

Register
Register Button

Home server over HDD shared on network?

I was just thinking about this today ...

Is there really any reason to have a home server over just a few extra HDDs shared on the network?

What would really be the plus to having a stand alone home server?

Talk it out
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

A server is more than just a file sharing device, but...

A NAS I beleive offers everyone full control over the contents, meaning accidental deletions are possible.
    A Server gives you user access control, beyond just accidental deletion protection, but content enabling as well.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

i run server 2008 at home instead of the home server version. access control is one of the reasons but i can also host my domain and website from here. i have not used home server yet but previously used win xp and vista to do that function and continuesly ran into file access error issues and authentication issues, shares would just drop out or disappear.
    i also noticed much more reliability and have literlly next to no down time anymore.
    Codisha | Farm | F@H | Heat

I have not tried any of the power pack updates, but the original WHS was terrible. You did not have much control over the drives, you put put a HDD in and it formatted it and added it to the software JBOD (took hours). I heard they got rid of that feature on the new version.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I was just thinking about this today ...

Is there really any reason to have a home server over just a few extra HDDs shared on the network?

What would really be the plus to having a stand alone home server?

Talk it out
    There are a lot of drawbacks to not using a home server and they become more evident in the wireless age.

well from my pov:

No slow down on shared systems or HDD lag due to others accessing your HDD. Win home server

You dont have to worry so much about your neighbors kid practicing his hacking abilities on your main rig (wireless). Winner Home server

What Bot said.

Your main rig would become slower because of the dual function.

I have 3 HTPC's and a PS3 feeding off of my main rig that doubles as a server and I do nothing other than web browsing, programing, design, finances and the like on it. I have tried heavy/online gaming use and when it is being used by just one HTPC causes lag.

I have the drive cage sitting on top of the rig and the wires running into it.

The other small drives are internally mounted USB keys.

Anyway for me it is just too much on a daily rig that you want to do more than the basics with.

Also GAMES id the stripe not the boot disk.
    Last edited by Archer; 03-02-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Sharing whether Hard drives or even Internet sharing in Windows will cause problems.

I am using HDD sharing on my HTPC at this point in time and reading videos off of it does not effect HD playback on my HTPC at all. The HTPC really on is a music/video playback unit with occasional email checking and weather lookup though so no gaming tests.

TRN Modder's Club

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Sharing whether Hard drives or even Internet sharing in Windows will cause problems.

I am using HDD sharing on my HTPC at this point in time and reading videos off of it does not effect HD playback on my HTPC at all. The HTPC really on is a music/video playback unit with occasional email checking and weather lookup though so no gaming tests.
    The HDD and windows cache take care of those issues and you get no stutters but when you game on it it is way diffrent.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

hmmm with the home server and running your own website, are you not worried about getting hacked?
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

I'm sure more than a few member will recognize me from OCForums/Overclockers.com, so I might as well stop lurking and start posting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    hmmm with the home server and running your own website, are you not worried about getting hacked?
    Home networks are not as targeted since you probably don't have information they want. That does not stop people "because they can", though. No system will be perfect, but you can take measures to secure the server. In addition to that, dynamic IPs add a bit of randomness and helps protect you. There are some individuals that run scans on IP ranges to find open ports and see what they can get into.

That being said, I would never run an external facing website (or other service I can't or don't know how to secure) from my file server; that is just asking for trouble. A VM or another computer would work perfect for isolating the system and I would run it on its own VLAN to prevent access in case it was breached.

The only service that is available from my server is SSH. I'm sure you are thinking I'm partially insane, and you are right. I like to access the server from outside my home and it has come in handy more than a few times. I use a trusted program that monitors attempted logins and bans based on IP. It is extremely strict and bans the user for 20 weeks. Even though I don't advertise my external IP, my hosts.deny is 2.9MB of text.

Simply put, if you know what you are doing, research a lot beforehand and actually test out your systems. If you aren't confident that you can secure a server/service, don't have it public.

Security is absolutely fascinating.
    Last edited by thideras; 03-05-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Asus P5Q Deluxe | QX9650 | 8gb GSkill 1000MHz | GTX 260 216
    17.83 TB | HX620W | 2x BenQ G2400W | My Heatware

Current project: Rackmount Overkill

Depends on what type of network your talking about.
    8088 processor running at the ubiquitous 4.77mhz
    640kb ram /w Quad Ram Memory expansion board 256kb ram
    360k Floppy Drive * 10 mb Hard Disk Drive
    Monitor (Princeton) * Dos 3.1