Handbrake settings

This is a discussion on Handbrake settings within the Home Theater forums, part of the Technology category; I will try and get this all sorted out tonight or possibly tomorrow. All of the information I have been able to find on handbrake ...

Register
Register Button

Handbrake settings

I will try and get this all sorted out tonight or possibly tomorrow.

All of the information I have been able to find on handbrake for setting up encodes, is spotty at best. You can find some great Detailed CLI formats but nothing in actually setting them in GUI Mode or why.

I am endeavoring to start ripping my DVD library to HDD and during my adventure I will try and impart what I learn about what settings and why they should be used.

MAinly I am looking for hardware acceleration on both Standard Definition as well as High Definition formats.

It is fairly simple less than 5 reference frames for 1080p, less than 10 for 720p. However there is no way to set L3.1 or L4.1 that I can find in the GUI mode.

Current latest build is .9.3 for windows, as I get more time I would also like to start developing downloads of the SVN builds for windows users, but I will need to get Linux installed on a machine first so that might take a little while (You can compile the GUI on windows but theCLI that goes along with it needs to be done in Linux. at least that is my understanding )

If anyone has tips suggestions or insight on this software, please post your experiences on it as well.

Codecs used for playing back DXVA compliant video files.

I will just be using FFDShow with the MPC-HC codec for mastroka.

(I will setup hyperlinks for that as well)
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

SO you are saying that you have to install Linux in order to compile CLI?
    if so why don't you just use a linux live distro and do it or even do it in Virtual machine or virtual PC that way you can install Linux in VM while doing other things on your system

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
    SO you are saying that you have to install Linux in order to compile CLI?
    if so why don't you just use a linux live distro and do it or even do it in Virtual machine or virtual PC that way you can install Linux in VM while doing other things on your system

Heh heh beauty eh?

I do not know why I did not think of that. I wish I could test out DXVA in VMs so I could experiment with 64 bit codecs but, that will not work in VM I am afraid. Thanks for the poke in the eye
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Sorry to jump in here late

I just use Slysoft, AnyDVD, CloneDVD etc and they work great. So far I have had nothing that doesn't work with it. No messing around with settings at all, just fire up CloneDVD, insert disk and let it rip. I run on Vista 64 with no issues or special codex's. hmm I also have the full suite of CyberLink also so that may provide some needed codex's, not sure.

CloneDVD to make an ISO and save it to my WHS. From there anything you want to do with it.

I picked up that setup back when they had that deal, purchase now and get lifetime updates.

Yah this project is taking a LOT longer than I had hoped for. Been busy with RL stuff, and now I am still waiting for a PSU to show up to power my gaming/encoding rig.

I thought about ISO format, but it takes away from the simple to use Media center interface. With 6 kids in the house, simple is the key

So far most of the DVD collection is Disney movies, and the DRM on them is awesome. AnyDVD can rip the disk about 1/2 the time. 1/2 of the rips, will not re-encode.

V64 is the best OS I have used to date... so I will have to play around with 64-bit codecs as well.

Hopefully the PSU gets shipped this week, so by next weekend I can experiment with the settings
    Last edited by Neuromancer; 04-19-2009 at 06:27 PM.

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    I thought about ISO format, but it takes away from the simple to use Media center interface. With 6 kids in the house, simple is the key
    Oh right Media Center, I haven't messed around with that yet. I usually just watch what ever on my main rig when I am bored.