Home Media Center Network Configuration

This is a discussion on Home Media Center Network Configuration within the Home Theater forums, part of the Technology category; I have been spending the better part of my free time configuring a whole-house multi-media network streaming system. The "hub" of the system is an ...

Register
Register Button
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home Media Center Network Configuration

I have been spending the better part of my free time configuring a whole-house multi-media network streaming system.

The "hub" of the system is an iOmega iConnect USB Data Station

This device connects up to 4 storage or printer devices, and is connected to your home network via Wifi or RJ45 (I use the latter). I have my multi TB HDDs that hold movies, TV shows, photos, etc. connected to this device.

My home network is CAT6 wired, and Wifi with 2 access points. All PCs can view the Iomega network devices.

PC Frontend:

XBMC. I like Xbmc mainly for the eye candy. Used in conjunction with Media Center Manager (separate utility app), I am able to add extensive metadata and artwork to XBMC (folder art, fanart, story, cast, ratings, and more). XBMC works well on Windows and Ubuntu Linux platforms.

WD Live Plus:

I also have added the WD Live Plus that allow direct connectivity to my TV via component/optical or HDMI. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320 The WD Live will also allow addition of HDDs via USB for even more storage capacity.

The Home Theater is based in the familty room where I have a home theater receiver (Yamaha RX-V467), and a Sony projection system.

We can watch HD TV or video on a 40" plasma TV or projection onto a 8'x 4' screen.

A lot of time was spent backing up movies to HDD (over 400 so far), but I think it is definitely worth it.

XBMC: Brwosing Library shows folder art with movie fanart in background. This is what I mean by eye candy.

XBMC here:

http://xbmc.org/download/

Media Center Master:
    http://www.mediacentermaster.com/
    Last edited by Cigarbug; 05-14-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

I cant really see the picture well. Any way to make it bigger?
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I cant really see the picture well. Any way to make it bigger?
    rub it / thats what she said

Last edited by Cigarbug; 05-11-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    Cool. Seems like the same thing I am doing.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbug View Post
    rub it / thats what she said

Now that is awesome!!!

Does it automatically put the pictures of the movies on there for you?
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

Great Idea Cigarbug. I use 7MC + metabrowser for my movies/tv shows. Works great too, there is a also another app that works with MC http://www.mediabrowser.tv/ that does all the fancy eyecandy. Metabroswer is still suggested though for pulling movie info from IMDB and downloading backgrounds, DVD covers etc.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

now I really wish I would not have sold my 100+ DVDs lol

Now that is awesome!!!

Does it automatically put the pictures of the movies on there for you?

XMBC does have built in "scrapers" for art and metadata, however, I found media center manager to be more comprehensive. MCM also places metadata and artwork directly into the movie folders (not on local machine).

Cases and Modding Moderator Enigma8750's Avatar
    Great Job Cigarbug... Cool points for you!!..
    CMSSC FOUNDER AND FORMER COMMANDER
    The [Official] Lian Li PC-A05 Club FOUNDER And FORMER LEADER

One thing I wanted to point out is that with the iOmega storage deveice OR the WD Live, there is no need for a dedicated media server pc. Either of the 2 work well as the "media server."

One thingto note about the WD Live.

I had some issues acces the shares on my HTPC/Server. Even resorting to UNPW style shares did not solve the problem, I would often have to wait 20-30 minutes for it to see the shares.

Setting a masterbrowser fixed that right up. Although lately I have just been using a flash drive for watching TV shows on the WDTV.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

ok with yalls setups are yall running just normal hard drives .. or are you all running a certain type of raid?

just thinking about backing up your collection in case an HDD dies

I was running RAID 5 but ran out of space, bought two 2TB drives and they are filling up.

TRN Modder's Club

ok with yalls setups are yall running just normal hard drives .. or are you all running a certain type of raid?

just thinking about backing up your collection in case an HDD dies
    A 250 GB boot drive in my server with a 2 TB storage disk. I have a 2 TB WD external with sync software for backups of the internal 2 TB. I did not run raid because I got a deal on the external storage option and it allows me to take my media with me.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Above is my current and projected setup. All wire is cat 6 550+ to allow for 10Gb or more in the future. The current specs are enough to fill a page but the server is as noted above. The bedroom PCs (other than mine) will not allow any Internet access and the closed network has no Internet access.

Streaming of Netflix and HuluPlus is ava on the netbook, master bedroom, living room and den/multipurpose room.

My daughters school PC has no subscription access.
    Current Active Fleet:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast