Ripping DVDs to PC files

This is a discussion on Ripping DVDs to PC files within the Home Theater forums, part of the Technology category; I copied the following originally posted by QTmeg, I will add my own thoughts at the end. This is a down & dirty way to ...

Register
Register Button
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ripping DVDs to PC files

I copied the following originally posted by QTmeg, I will add my own thoughts at the end.

This is a down & dirty way to rip & convert a DVD for upload. You will need 2 free programs, DVD Decrypter & Auto GK.

Now there are many programs you could use but these two are all I have ever needed, (almost), plus I have not seen any faster. I have purposely kept things simple for the newbie but once you get used to the programs you'll find that there are all sorts of things you can do.

Step 1. DVD Decrypter

Open DVD Decrypter and Insert the DVD you want to rip. It is a good idea to create a folder to store the ripped files.

Settings -
    1. Choose IFO mode
    2. Locate the folder you will store the ripped files
    3. Highlight the longest program set, which will be the movie.
    4. Press the green arrow to start ripping.

These files you saved should contain all audio streams & subtitles, if you need them.

Step 2. Auto GK

Auto GK has 4 steps you need to take in order so the settings will take effect.

1. - Open Auto GK and locate the folder where you saved the ripped files. You want the Video subfolder and you want to choose the ifo file for the vob set the video is in, it will be the larger ifo file. Now choose a folder to save the output file.

Note, if you have ripped something like a TV series with several episodes you will have several vob sets. You will have to add each video to the job queue one at a time.

2. - Choose the audio track you want, normally the first one. I wouldn't recommend burning the subtitles onto the video, if you want subtitles I would rip them from the DVD Decrypter files as a separate file.

3. - Most movies are just fine at 1 CD size. If you do have a long movie you can use the second option to increase the size to 900-1000 mb. Some people insist all movies should be 2 CD size, whatever, do what you want here. If you do choose 2 CD size this program will make one continuous movie @ 1400mb then split it in 2, resulting in 3 files.

4. - My example is a NTSC Region 1 DVD @ 4/3 aspect ratio. I set these options @ 640 width, CBR 128 & Divx.

Why? While the DVD resolution is 720 width I suggest not going over 640, (the native resolution being 640x480, not to mention the larger you make this the worse the crispness will be), you will also find that some DVD players and/or TVs will not display over 640 width.

CBR 128 Audio, (constant Bit Rate), is because there is no bigger reason for audio out of sync than using variable rate. The 128 size is because there is no reason to go larger, the human ear can't detect any difference over 64-96 kbps. Why not use AC3? You will have to use a minimum bit rate of aat least 192 to equal MP3 @ 128. Not recommended for a 1 CD conversion.

Divx because it is faster, thats all. Sure Xvid MAY be better for some high action videos, but I never noticed.

Now you are ready to ADD Job to the queue. If you do have multiple vob sets to convert go back to step one and add/save each one now, the settings should be fine.

Click the Start button and wait for it to complete. It is a good idea to check the finished copy for quality and audio sync. Check for audio at beginning, middle and end, to make sure the audio doesn't drift off.

POSTSCRIPT (by CB)

These are free apps for ripping and converting. Some people use Media Monkey. DVD Fab is also a very good ripper/converter/ protection remover (but not free), and one of the best for ripping BluRays.

Depending on which player you use, you may need to add some codecs/filters to play them back.

MKV and MP4 are favored for their ability to contain additional content like chapters, subtitles, and additional audio tracks. They also work best with hi-def content.

The one thing you need to be clear is the difference between the shell (file extension avi, mp4, mkv etc) and the video/audio codecs used to encode and playback video/audio content. They are not the same. The former is player compatibility and the latter is quality and compression.

Remember to test your rips for quality, audio sync, and file size before you rip your whole collection. The "art" of the process is determining the best possible quality at the smallest file size. This will require some self education and trial and error. The web is flush with tutorials, suggested settings, etc. Start with the forums associated with the app links listed below.

DVD Copy apps are typically for backing up a full dual layer DVD to a single layer 4.5gb DVD. This is not what you want or need for a multimedia file server setup.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm
    http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/
    http://www.autogk.me.uk/

Last edited by Cigarbug; 05-13-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

superb copy and paste

Although this is great info and thanks for posting ... I really would love to get something like this going, now I just need to get the hard drives and spare system to do this.
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    Drew price per megabyte has never been better.

@Cigarbug: I will try this software combo and I appreciate the thread. Now can you tell me a way to do VHS in 5 min or less?
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Yep, I was thinking that they were all coming down to very acceptable prices ...

I think we should start a HTPC build/setup thread ... Someone that knows what they are doing want to make one?
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

HTPC for me is a little overkill for most people but I will start a thread. I am running PCmark 7 on one of them now.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Cases and Modding Moderator Enigma8750's Avatar
    This is some Super Advice.. You get cool points for this for sure..

Last edited by Enigma8750; 05-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    CMSSC FOUNDER AND FORMER COMMANDER
    The [Official] Lian Li PC-A05 Club FOUNDER And FORMER LEADER

Handbrake is my favorite encoder, and combined with AnyDVD or DVD shrink or DVDecrypter you can rip and drop the VOB files in with no problems.

AnyDVDHD will work on both DVD and BDROM, but it is not a free solution.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    HTPC for me is a little overkill for most people but I will start a thread. I am running PCmark 7 on one of them now.
    sweet ... cant wait to get that thread going

I think I will start it something like this:

Well this will be a thread specifically for the HTPC. I have had several reviews using components that were not power hungry yet powerful enough to do the job well.

First what an HTPC is and is not need to be defined.

An HTPC is: A computer capable of streaming, playback of all media source files, BRD playback (until recently that did not necessarily include the BRD but considering the price drops an HTPC is incomplete without one), light gaming and old school emulation, HDMI output, Optical and/or COAX audio output and the capability to read all popular flash media cards.

An HTPC is not: an atom based streaming box that does not even have a DVD drive.

An HTPC is generally kept in an area where excess fan noise is not approved of, excessive heat output is not desired and aesthetics are really a must.

As far as component selection? Well that is as varied as the PC. I personally have had SLI HTPCs running slot powered 9800GTs, single Gf 465s and AMD integrated GFX.

So what the intent of this thread is to design the best spec (not components but requirements) systems from basic to extreme. Yes even a wild water cooled rig is a great centerpiece for room.

This post will grow over the coming weeks.
    Current Active Fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I think I will start it something like this:

Well this will be a thread specifically for the HTPC. I have had several reviews using components that were not power hungry yet powerful enough to do the job well.

First what an HTPC is and is not need to be defined.

An HTPC is: A computer capable of streaming, playback of all media source files, BRD playback (until recently that did not necessarily include the BRD but considering the price drops an HTPC is incomplete without one), light gaming and old school emulation, HDMI output, Optical and/or COAX audio output and the capability to read all popular flash media cards.

An HTPC is not: an atom based streaming box that does not even have a DVD drive.

An HTPC is generally kept in an area where excess fan noise is not approved of, excessive heat output is not desired and aesthetics are really a must.

As far as component selection? Well that is as varied as the PC. I personally have had SLI HTPCs running slot powered 9800GTs, single Gf 465s and AMD integrated GFX.

So what the intent of this thread is to design the best spec (not components but requirements) systems from basic to extreme. Yes even a wild water cooled rig is a great centerpiece for room.

This post will grow over the coming weeks.
    sounds great for a start ... I already have a couple questions lol .. just waiting on you to throw up the thread

I will probably get it going Tuesday. I think it will be more of a ongoing discussion thread than anything else and I will try to keep the first few posts updated.
    Current Active Fleet:

I'm using Handbrake and DVDFab Passkey. Passkey is just like AnyDVD, but if you just need it for DVD's its free, if you need it for BR it's alot cheaper than AnyDVD.
    * Storm Scout * i5 750 @ 4.0GHz * ASUS Maximus III Formula * 4GB OCZ Reaper * Power Color 5870 LCS * 2x 1TB WD Black Raid 0 * SupremeFX X-Fi * CM 850 SilentPro * XSPC Rasa/750/RS240/RX120 * Win 7 64 *

Quote Originally Posted by GoodInk View Post
    I'm using Handbrake and DVDFab Passkey. Passkey is just like AnyDVD, but if you just need it for DVD's its free, if you need it for BR it's alot cheaper than AnyDVD.

good info GI

Thanks for this thread CB

and Kev We have the same ideas on what HTPCs are, Mine is only a little more than media player ATM, I pulled my tuner card, and swapped out the quad for a unlocked sempron.

Ideally my HTPC would be a true home server with HTPC frontend, that can handle multiple RDP inputs and that is the goal I am currently working towards. Cant afford the $400 Ceton tuner yet... but I do keep looking once a week at it I really like 7MC, but that is not an option on 2k8 R2, so will be looking at VMs and 3rd party softwares like XBMC.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    good info GI

Thanks for this thread CB

and Kev We have the same ideas on what HTPCs are, Mine is only a little more than media player ATM, I pulled my tuner card, and swapped out the quad for a unlocked sempron.

Ideally my HTPC would be a true home server with HTPC frontend, that can handle multiple RDP inputs and that is the goal I am currently working towards. Cant afford the $400 Ceton tuner yet... but I do keep looking once a week at it I really like 7MC, but that is not an option on 2k8 R2, so will be looking at VMs and 3rd party softwares like XBMC.
    I honestly have been considering building a real entertainment PC based system. One box, 7.1 surround with the amps built in because I cant seem to find thew old style 100W boosters.
    Current Active Fleet:

I will be glad to help out on the HTPC thread. One thing I've learned is that you have to think "Home Theater System with an HTPC component."

Then...What do you want your HTPC to do? Play media? Play games? and depending on your Software of choice, you may not be able to go Linux.

A basic HTPC does not have to be high-end, just enough to handle video playback (HDMI-out). A scrap parts project--even if you make it a media server too. A lot of mATX boards with onboard video and HDMI are dirt cheap.

Come to think of it the WD Live box is an HTPC.

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast