TV Shows wont show up on XBMC?

This is a discussion on TV Shows wont show up on XBMC? within the Home Theater forums, part of the Technology category; It shows 0 episodes on the top there and when I open it the episodes are not there.... however ... I can find them in ...

Register
Register Button

TV Shows wont show up on XBMC?

It shows 0 episodes on the top there and when I open it the episodes are not there....

however ...

I can find them in the video files section of XBMC. What am I missing?
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

Where is my sweet little CB with all the answers lol ... E call him up
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    Hey I did not authorize you to make a episodic bio of my life
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Hey I did not authorize you to make a episodic bio of my life

LOL! If this is a play off on your life ... I want to move in!

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    I can neither confirm or deny that. To do so could cause many deaths
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

They show up in file mode, but not Library Mode? Could be you need tp simply update the Library.
    Right click on video main menu, select update library or...

Has to do with the naming convention you used versus what the scraper uses. In order for the Library to recognize the show, the TVDB scraper has to recognize it. Don't ask me why.

Most TV show are easy.

Modern Family/ ModernFamilyS01E01.avi will be recognized (and any similar naming format). Renaming each episode is usually the solution.

I use Filerenamer Turbo for batch file renaming.

Edit: You will have this problem with any home video. (which I put under music videos as a work around).

Note all episodes can go in one folder.
    Last edited by Cigarbug; 07-15-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

CB...

I am going to try out XBMC soon, as I am thinking of switching to server OS for my HTPC.

I currently have about 20 different series on my HTPC.. some of them up to 10 season long.

I did mine..

X:\TV\Series name\Season number\01- pilot.avi

Will that work? I already switched them to that format for metabrowser. Would hate to switch them all again.

EDIT: 5600 files including jpgs for folder and banners... 205 folders and 1.06TB of TV shows :O
    Last edited by Neuromancer; 07-15-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    CB...

X:\TV\Series name\Season number\01- pilot.avi
    I don't think so.

The file name would have to include the series title

X:\TV\Series name\Season number\Series name E1.avi , but it may require the season# AND episode #

I always use the series name S01E01 (season1 episode1) convention because I know it works.

Running them all thru Media Center Manager as TV shows may auto-fix the names. [Check Box] under options.

You can easily rename 1000's of files quickly with file renaming utilities.

Note: you can use season # directories, but don't have to with the S01E01 format. XBMC Library will group them by season either way.

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

This may need a whole new thread, but keep this concept in mind...

Regardless of OS, XBMC and Windows Media Player are also media servers if enabled. In both progs they have file and library modes. When file serving through either prog, only files included in the Library will be broadcast/streamed. That the best way to utilize streaming boxes like the WD Live.

XBMC allows all kinds of metadata and folder art that WMP does not. That is the main difference between the two, and its a big one. Both can regulate streaming through optional settings (e.g. for sync problems). The Library mode is picky about naming, or it will not include it.

Conceptually, you can have 100 each on 20 PCs on your network. In File mode you will see 20 sources, In library mode you will see 2000 files continuously. Savy?

In file mode, you are of course going directly to the HDD, but not all front-ends can do that. Any PC can.

Just to help you get ahead of the learning curve.
    Last edited by Cigarbug; 07-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.

I do not use WMP for server duties and that would involve re-tagging all my media files. (I did that once, when i was only doing music... reinstalled windows and the files were not actually changed just WMP so I lost it.

I got away from the S01E01 stuff as I like to know the episode names, and when not on the HTPC, I generally highlight a few files and "Send to playlist".

Even my music is organized into Artist\album\01-songname.mp3

I will check it out for myself, and see if metabrowser plays nicely with XBMC, I do not really want to rename anything as my current setup works very well.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Actual file names (XBMC file mode)

Episode Names as they appear in Library Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    I do not use WMP for server duties and that would involve re-tagging all my media files. (I did that once, when i was only doing music... reinstalled windows and the files were not actually changed just WMP so I lost it.

I got away from the S01E01 stuff as I like to know the episode names, and when not on the HTPC, I generally highlight a few files and "Send to playlist".

Even my music is organized into Artist\album\01-songname.mp3

I will check it out for myself, and see if metabrowser plays nicely with XBMC, I do not really want to rename anything as my current setup works very well.
    As you will see, the S01E01 helps the media scrapers recognize the episode and download the episode name and metadata.

Adding to playlists can be done in the same way in XBMC.

Music is easy. I just added my Itunes dir to the sources, updated the Library. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbug View Post
    They show up in file mode, but not Library Mode? Could be you need tp simply update the Library.
    Right click on video main menu, select update library or...

Has to do with the naming convention you used versus what the scraper uses. In order for the Library to recognize the show, the TVDB scraper has to recognize it. Don't ask me why.

Most TV show are easy.

Modern Family/ ModernFamilyS01E01.avi will be recognized (and any similar naming format). Renaming each episode is usually the solution.

I use Filerenamer Turbo for batch file renaming.

Edit: You will have this problem with any home video. (which I put under music videos as a work around).

Note all episodes can go in one folder.
    OK, that worked - thanks!!

Will it not auto scan for them? I had to scan for them automatically. I set it to automatically scan, but never did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    OK, that worked - thanks!!

Will it not auto scan for them? I had to scan for them automatically. I set it to automatically scan, but never did.
    I think it only auto scans when XBMC starts up. The weird thing is that file mode looks fine, but library mode doesn't like it, and getting the right file name is sometimes the only way to get it in the library.

When I add any files, I always manually run "Update Library" to avoid problems. Update Library not only updates the library but scans for new content. If a file does not appear in the library after, I know I have a naming issue.