How I manage my media

This is a discussion on How I manage my media within the Home Theater forums, part of the Technology category; Video (movies), TV Episodes, Music, Photos, Home Video Movies I typically rip HD video to MKV files to include chapters using DVDFab or Handbrake (both ...

Register
Register Button

How I manage my media

Video (movies), TV Episodes, Music, Photos, Home Video

Movies

I typically rip HD video to MKV files to include chapters using DVDFab or Handbrake (both use all cores/threads) on my power rig for speed.

I then move the MKV file to a holding folder called "Send." When I have ripped a number of movies, I will run Media Center Manager on the Send folder. MCM will download and create file art, backdrops, and XBMC specific metadata files. MCM also will create the folder, place the movies and all other files in that folder, and rename the files to proper format with year.

I then transfer those files to the main movie directory on my media server pc.

On the Media server, I manually "update library" in XBMC to ensure new titles are added to the library. (Only titles in the library will be streamed by XBMC).

TV Episodes

A Little more work. Ripping multi-episode DVDs with DVDfab is easy, you can rip to individual files, however, the ripped name is usually not consistent with XBMC scraper conventions--the XBMC Library may not recognize the Show, season, and title.

I ensure each episode has the S01E01 convention in its title. I use file renaming utilities that perform this quickly and easily on multiple files.

I then transfer the files to the TV Shows/TV ShowName folder and run Update Library in XBMC. If I see the TVDB scraper recognizing the content (i.e. downloading Tv show information, I know I'm good.
    Season folders are optional--it will work wither way. The Library will organize TV shows by season with or without season subfolders.

Music

I simply use my Itunes music folder in XBMC. That simple.

Photos

I just add the source folder for my photos. That simple.

Home Videos

There is no current functionality in XBMC for home or other "specialty video."

I add the source in Music Videos which allows free-form naming conventions. You can also manually create XML metadata files for your home video. This is a tolerable work-around.

If you add them under Video, they will be co-mingled with movies.
    This is a limitation and well-documented short-coming of the current version of XBMC. I expect more free form metadata and home video functionality in future version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All files reside on the server. By having the metadata and artwork in each subfolder, streaming devices like my WD Live boxes will display the folder artwork too.

On my server, I run XBMC AND Windows Media Player as media servers. I use WMP for troublesome show like The Three Stooges. WMP library is less picky but lacks in other ways.

Anyone do it differently or find a better way?

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

85% of my video is Standard Def with the other being high def.
    Of the high def, its 50-50 720p and 1080p. I find 720p great for most movies leaving the 1080p for Super movies like Star Wars.

I no longer keep them in a separate folder because the XBMC Library just lumps them all together anyway.

I find that I watch the vast majority of movies from my WD Live boxes (one in the family room, and one in MBR). Streaming is great from XBMC to these boxes.

I have a HTPC in the family room that I have not powered up in a month. I used it sporadically and mainly for online poker which the Feds recently shut down. My son hooks up his PS3 to it occasionally for gaming and loves it--Madden football looks like a real game. BTW its on a n 8' projection system which makes all the difference.

Intel I7 950 @ 4.2 || ASUS Sabertooth X58 || Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 (3x2) || ATI HD 5850 || OCZ Vertex 3 & WD Raptor 10k || Corsair TX 950 || HP 2509m || Water Cooled w/ Apogee XT block, XSPC 360 rad, 3x Yate Loons @ 2000RPM, MP655 pump, EK full GPU block.

Media Center Manager also has the ability to create HTML listings of your collection. I convert the HTML to a Word document and keep a printout handy. I have a lot of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbug View Post
    Media Center Manager also has the ability to create HTML listings of your collection. I convert the HTML to a Word document and keep a printout handy. I have a lot of movies.
    lol wow!

Ya I do not have that many yet...
    Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

I would like to take credit for my setup but I stole it all from lifehacker articles:

Media Tagging:
    http://lifehacker.com/5505849/how-to...xbmc-and-boxee

Correct TV Show Tagging:
    http://lifehacker.com/5471112/automa...-ahem-tv-shows

Music: As of now it is maintained by iTunes, its simple, it (mostly) works, for some strange live recordings I have it does not. I use songbird to tag my mp3s with lyrics, I don't know when I will need it, but I like that my mp3s have it.
    File Structure: D:\Music\Artist\Album

Videos: Play through XMBC when with other people or if I don't know what I want to watch. If I know what I want I will watch through VLC.
    I have XMBC set to NOT update my librarys for faster usage. I then use media companion to scrape my library. It speeds up XMBC as you only really need to update it when you know you added a new video.
    File Structure: D:\Videos on Minibox\Video Name - Year\

TV Shows:

Media Companion may not help you if you want your TV-Show--from dvd to be recognized as a tv show and not the dvd as Media Companion gets picky about such things I found.
    File Structure: E:\TV Shows\TV Show\Season 00\
    Last edited by GSG-9; 08-03-2011 at 07:05 AM.