FC-6

This is a discussion on FC-6 within the Lamptron Official Support forums, part of the Manufacturer Support category; Well I don't seem to have too much luck with these. I sent back two because of display issues. They were using the same display ...

Register
Register Button

Thread: FC-6

FC-6

Well I don't seem to have too much luck with these. I sent back two because of display issues. They were using the same display as the FC-5V1s.

Now I got this current one from a different vendor and found out a different problem. I've noticed this after seeing my AP15s don't run at the rated RPMs. I kind of ignored it since 1630 RPM is pretty close to the 10% tolerance.

The other day I plugged the fans into a molex connector and had the RPM sensor plugged into the controller. Now I notice the fans are running at 1750 RPM. This is because the highest voltage it outputs is 11V. I've checked this with a voltmeter on all four channels.

I've been too busy with work and putting my rig back together to deal with this so it's past the 30-Day warranty provided by the vendor. I know I can't return it to Lamptron for repair because their production facilities are in China and it would cost more to ship it than buy another one.

I guess I'm asking how I can fix this. I'm a recently graduated electrical engineer so if I could get a circuit diagram or the part numbers for the MOSFETs that would be great. I'm mapping out the traces, but this is taking forever.

TR Staff
    FB voltmod? Should be easy for you
    The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

Heat Team IRONMODS

Gonna look into it for you and get back to you to see what we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    FB voltmod? Should be easy for you
    In this case an FB voltmod wouldn't work since this controller doesn't use PWM control like the FC-2.

After looking at the PCB a little more I actually found that the circuit is a pretty simple form of power regulation. It just uses a potentiometer to regulate voltage across the gate of the MOSFET.

Using the voltmeter I could see the MOSFET is only outputting 11V after being fed a 12V signal to the gate. The way it's wired has me believe that this a p-channel transistor. After brushing up on my knowledge of MOSFET characteristics I now know that the Rds(on) value must be pretty large to account for a 1V drop across the transistor even on light loads of a couple Watts. I guess someone cheaped out somewhere and bought up some crappy MOSFETs. That's probably why all the faces of them were sanded off so no one could get a part number...

I can possibly find another transistor with some good characteristics and be able to pull more power through the unit. I don't think I have to beef anything else up to run this unit at a higher amperage.

Of course I'll hold off on any modifications until Spawne32 replies back.

I cant guarantee that the engineers are gona give the technical info I need to answer your question because the PCB is proprietary and they keep this stuff pretty secretive, but I will do my best, we may just replace the unit even with it being outside of warranty.

Thanks for trying for me Spawne32. I can provide proof of malfunction if needed.

Too bad they just can't give me the part number of the MOSFETs on a FC-5. They grinded all the faces off those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeing Red View Post
    Thanks for trying for me Spawne32. I can provide proof of malfunction if needed.

Too bad they just can't give me the part number of the MOSFETs on a FC-5. They grinded all the faces off those too.
    they do that for infringement purposes

Any news on this?

I did receive a response about this, it seems that the technical layout of the pcb is classified information. Im sorry that I cant help you further with this, im still pushing for a replacement however.