Laptop for College?

This is a discussion on Laptop for College? within the Portable Devices forums, part of the Technology category; Hey guys. So I need some more input on this matter. It is a pretty hefty investment so I want to make the right choice ...

Register
Register Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laptop for College?

Hey guys. So I need some more input on this matter. It is a pretty hefty investment so I want to make the right choice

I will be going to college this coming Fall and need to decide on my computer setup. Here's my options:

1) Bring my current desktop; purchase tablet/netbook for portable use in class

Details: 20-30lb PC
    i7 875k
    8GB DDR3 (rated 2400) @ 1600
    Corsair 600T
    XFX 750w Black Edition
    Intel DP55SB m-ATX
    250gb Seagate
    750gb WD

2) Purchase a laptop. If I don't bring my PC, will have to be a gaming one.

or other ideas??

I know at RIT (I will be attending Rochester Institute of Technology) there is an activities group that holds sponsored LANs every Fall and Spring with a different theme... so that should be fun. In that case, I might want a laptop?

My worry is that if I purchase a $1200+ laptop, will it just sit in my dorm? And then I could've just brought my desktop...

Feedback? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

TR Blogger
    Personally, having gone through this myself, I would definitely go with option 1. I had a nice "desktop replacement" notebook, but it rarely left my dorm room. I bought myself a smaller notebook later and I still hated carrying it around with me and eventually switched to a netbook, which was more than powerful enough for in class purposes.

Unless the program you're going into specifically calls for a laptop for in class use, you'll be fine with a nice tablet or netbook, shouldn't be gaming in class anyway

I did both the DTR notebook and desktop in college. What turned out to be best was to have a desktop in the dorm room and an ultra-portable to bring to class and the library.

I recommend the ASUS ultra-portables. Sleek, powerful and great battery life.
    Follow TechREACTION On Twitter.

"I do not fear a man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once. I fear a man who
    has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    I did both the DTR notebook and desktop in college. What turned out to be best was to have a desktop in the dorm room and an ultra-portable to bring to class and the library.

I recommend the ASUS ultra-portables. Sleek, powerful and great battery life.
    Did you end up using the DTR as a second desktop basically?

What are your thoughts on the ASUS EEE Pad Transformer?

Quote Originally Posted by cralor View Post
    Did you end up using the DTR as a second desktop basically?

What are your thoughts on the ASUS EEE Pad Transformer?
    No, I sold the DTR and upgraded my desktop.

EEE Pad Transformer is sick, but I can't see using an Android tablet for school work.

Mind just linking your suggestion you mentioned?

Also, should I be worried about bringing in my desktop immediately? or should I wait till I know my roommate and stuff?

Cases and Modding Moderator Enigma8750's Avatar
    My Son and daughter have both dropped the "Quick Flop" Lappies for MacBook Pros. "Because that is the way to go.." my daugher says. It's a clear alternative to buying a new lappy every year or two when the Mac's keep up the pace with the techno trends a lot longer that their Microsoft alternatives.

The Mac is just a superior OS and with a Hyper fast i5 processors and 1333 DDr3 ram,the MacBook Pro is like That Motorcycle that they fit the Viper Motor into.

Lots of Horses and none of the weight of the Windows architecture without having to carry the mistakes that Windows have made thoughout the years of its very simplified Evolution. Why they will not go to a more UNIX style OS is really a step they should... but won't take.

The 13 inch screen has a 1400X900 res. and even an i7 if you want the Elephant Gun alternative..

Last edited by Enigma8750; 05-23-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    CMSSC FOUNDER AND FORMER COMMANDER
    The [Official] Lian Li PC-A05 Club FOUNDER And FORMER LEADER

if you consider the transformer then i would also take a look at the Acer Iconia Tab W500. This would at least allow you to have win7 if you need which i think would suite college work better.
    the ASUS Eee Slate EP121 would also pretty nice to have but no keyboard .. dock at least. would work with a usb keyboard. and the extra performance makes itself known in the reduced battery life.
    not to mention the price tag.

as alex already mentioned, having a full fledged desktop at your disposal would be nice and maybe something portable on the side.
    to me a laptop just can't really replace a desktop and it's not just about performance.
    Codisha | Farm | F@H | Heat

Quote Originally Posted by cralor View Post
    Mind just linking your suggestion you mentioned?

Also, should I be worried about bringing in my desktop immediately? or should I wait till I know my roommate and stuff?
    Any of the UL series notebooks from ASUS are what I am referring too. Check out their website and then check Amazon, etc.

Wow. Didn't realize this was back in May. Time flies.

Anyway, I didn't really see anything that I liked on Newegg, etc. and was looking at Microsoft's "Free Xbox 360 deal," but that's basically a scam among the participating companies because they are either extremely limiting or jack up the price for the so-called "Free Xbox 360."

So, I ended up paying out $800 for a Dell Inspiron 14R. 6GB RAM w/ Intel HD 3000 On-Board and Switchable AMD 6470M. I thought that was a pretty good deal so I went with that. I'll be bringing my desktop anyway. Very light too, especially in my Swiss Army backpack. It also came with 1 Year of Accidental Warranty, which I can upgrade before it ends if I feel like it (but I probably don't need to / won't).

Me like the switchable GFX, but 6GB RAM? 4 SODIMM slots eh?

Oh something to test to make sure the GPU is not kicking in arbitraily. Set up DXVA encoding and flash 10.1 and enable hardware acceleration.

Open GPUz or something and run a 1080p video or HD youetube vid.

See if the HD3000 handles it or passes it over to the AMD setup. I would assume the HDA3000 uses less power (well since it would be on even if the AMD card is on) and would hope it handles those things well enough and only games or CAD would go to AMD card...
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Me like the switchable GFX, but 6GB RAM? 4 SODIMM slots eh?

Oh something to test to make sure the GPU is not kicking in arbitraily. Set up DXVA encoding and flash 10.1 and enable hardware acceleration.

Open GPUz or something and run a 1080p video or HD youetube vid.

See if the HD3000 handles it or passes it over to the AMD setup. I would assume the HDA3000 uses less power (well since it would be on even if the AMD card is on) and would hope it handles those things well enough and only games or CAD would go to AMD card...
    Yeah I'll do some testing.

The Laptop has 2 slots. 1x 4gb, 1x 2gb.

Think the bandwidth of 2x2GB is going to be more useful than single channel 4+2... might want to sell that 4GB and grab another two (or viceversa)
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Think the bandwidth of 2x2GB is going to be more useful than single channel 4+2... might want to sell that 4GB and grab another two (or viceversa)
    I probably should've simply gone with 4GB (1x) and hopped on Newegg and got another, but eh, whatever. I realize it is not the optimal setup, but for now I'll just leave it the way it is. In the future I could always pop in another 4GB to make it 8GB total.

Laptop is a very portable device. And it is very beneficial for the students to study or for constructing projects. As it is easy to carry from one place to another. And it is light also so it works fast compare to desktop.
    No Spam in sig.

Archer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast