Today we broke Physics

This is a discussion on Today we broke Physics within the Science & Technology forums, part of the The Pub category; I love this.. "A man that has never been A SINNER, does not prize SAINTHOOD" Jesus said something very much like this in his teachings.. ...

Register
Register Button
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cases and Modding Moderator Enigma8750's Avatar
    I love this..

"A man that has never been A SINNER, does not prize SAINTHOOD"
    Jesus said something very much like this in his teachings.. Very true indeed.
    Last edited by Enigma8750; 09-26-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    CMSSC FOUNDER AND FORMER COMMANDER
    The [Official] Lian Li PC-A05 Club FOUNDER And FORMER LEADER

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    We do UT anyone?
    I will take you up on some UT3 sometime, UN: PaperBlankets

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    Little buddhist but... "All things in moderation"

Even beer.
    HEATHEN!

I am hospital certified to be able to stand up straight at 4.9. After Saint Pat's I can be stone cold sober and still sweat hops for days.

Also, don't forget Far Scape. That was total space opera from day one.
    Allow me the following heresy: There is simply no such thing as the perfect computer. Even if you managed to build it, some new bit of hardware would come out next week that is marginally better than what you have.

Decide what you want, ask questions, respond to the answers. If it takes you a couple of months to get there, that is fine. You will have a better computer that you could buy from Dell or similar companies.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } As far as the physics goes, I am thinking that what is a probable outcome is going to be little more than nothing. Really, 60ns is such a slight difference that it took us this long to notice it but special relativity is very solidly confirmed. It is in fact essential to the GPS system.

Einstein never knew about neutrinos so he went with what he did know and it is not much different of a speed. You think that it makes any sense to say that light just happens to travel slightly slower than c?
    Allow me the following heresy: There is simply no such thing as the perfect computer. Even if you managed to build it, some new bit of hardware would come out next week that is marginally better than what you have.

Decide what you want, ask questions, respond to the answers. If it takes you a couple of months to get there, that is fine. You will have a better computer that you could buy from Dell or similar companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Malpine Walis View Post
    Einstein never knew about neutrinos so he went with what he did know and it is not much different of a speed. You think that it makes any sense to say that light just happens to travel slightly slower than c?
    I really need to read up on this subject.

If light can not escape the event horizon of a black hole and is drawn to it, and stellar black holes start at around 10 times the mass of our own sun, it would stand to reason that the light we receive from our star, also is not travelling at the speed of light. Hence any observations or attempts to accurately calculate the speed would be skewed by our own local speed of light, which may be as much as 10% slower.

I have no idea how theoretical math/physics guys ever get anything written down.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Well, how light behaves under the influence of gravity is covered under general relativity. The speed of light is covered under special relativity. So now you are mixing two very different things.

Objects in motion will measure time and distance differently from stationary objects. At ordinary velocities, the effect is so small that you never notice it but at close to the speed of light, things get fairly weird. Time slows down and length decreases. By exactly enough to offset your forward speed.

We can do a thought experiment or several but let's just go with one for now.

There are two synchronized clocks on a table. They both tick identically. Now move one of them to the far end of a foot ball stadium. You will now hear the farther clock ticking late. Here is where it starts to get weird. Mathmatically, the far away clock might as well be in the past.

Now, what happens if the clock is moving away from us? Well, the ticks will come later and later as it moves away. Not only that but they will be farther apart. The motion of the clock has caused it to slow down Only to us. The pilot of the plane that it is on hears no change.

That's why I hate physics

we've finally gotten to see what the protomolecule is really up to.
    Event Management Job in Delhi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads