Rage

This is a discussion on Rage within the Video Games forums, part of the The Pub category; I'm reading a-lot of things about Rage for PC lately. Some saying its a crap PC port, while others saying its a good game. Per ...

Register
Register Button

Thread: Rage

Rage

I'm reading a-lot of things about Rage for PC lately. Some saying its a crap PC port, while others saying its a good game.

Per reviews done by a few console focused websites the game is apparently a-lot of fun, and visually is very pleasing giving the game an average score of 9/10. Again...these are websites that are more console focused, and rarely mention the PC version of a game unless it is exclusive to PC (BTW I'm gonna start a little rant about that in the future).

I plan on playing the game to generate my own opinion of the game, but wanted to ask you guys...whats your opinion of the PC version of Rage?
    Intel W3520 @ 4.2 ghz (HT Enabled)
    Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
    Asus EAH5870 (950 core)
    G-skill Trident ddr3 2000mhz ram (3 x 2gb)
    Silverstone ST1000-P PSU
    WD RaptorX 150gb, WD 1tb, Seagate Perpendicular 320gb, WD 1tb (non raid config)
    2 x LG Sata 22x DVD Burner
    Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme Water-block, Feser X-Changer 360mm Xtreme Performance Radiator, Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 10 External Reservior, Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
    Lian Li X-500 Case

It's installed and ready to go, and will give it a shot later tonight. I'll let you know what I think
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Alrighty, after some fiddling with configs and tweaks to get it to run "good enough", I've gotten to play it for a couple hours. Game play is ok, nothing overly special, but far from bad. Feels like a mix of Borderlands and Fallout 3. You can see they've put some effort into certain things, but then again there are some things you could say the opposite about as well.

If you're not super bored and need something to play right away, I'd wait for a patch to iron out the worst issues. And driver support is not 100% yet. Getting flickering/artifacts every now and then, and lots of tearing. Remember this is AFTER I've modified configs etc to get it to run better... Unplayable before it.
    In some situations the texture quality is really bad. But whatever.. bleh, consoles... Just have to deal with it I guess.

Running on a single 6950@6970 as crossfire is broken, x8 AA (looks like its x4 tbh) and x16AF, its smooth but with the issues described above.

All in all, game got potential to be good, just need some patch and driver love. But far from the hype that was built up before the release.
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

Ok definately need to test this game out myself. Thanks Wez! Question what resolution were you playing it, and what was your avg frame rate? Talk was game locks at 60.
    Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
    Asus EAH5870 (950 core)
    Silverstone ST1000-P PSU
    Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme Water-block, Feser X-Changer 360mm Xtreme Performance Radiator, Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 10 External Reservior, Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
    Lian Li X-500 Case

From what I've read, Id really screwed the pooch on this one for PC gamers. They have to release a patch to make this game legit in our eyes.
    Follow TechREACTION On Twitter.

"I do not fear a man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once. I fear a man who
    has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    From what I've read, Id really screwed the pooch on this one for PC gamers. They have to release a patch to make this game legit in our eyes.
    I did read a patch was released and fixed alot of the game's issues but I haven't been able to confirm it as of yet. Shame for ID though that PC version had to be getting so much negative hype.
    Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
    Asus EAH5870 (950 core)
    Silverstone ST1000-P PSU
    Lian Li X-500 Case

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    That can be said of almost every game release ever though cant it?

At least since consoles became competitive. They design for consoles first and try and tack on other wardware compatibility.

Why do you think Mac OS was so successful? It wasn't that it was better, it was coded for a specific set of hardware. Linux also used to be better back when it did not support firmware devices. Once linux added software support for things like modems and stuff, (lookup win-modem to understand the firmware thing I'm talking about) it as slow laggy and bloated as windows.

Software optimized for a specific hardware set will always trump software designed to run on anything (hello windows!)

IT is why I will always be a PC guy. It supports everything, well everything popular.

(speaking of supporting everything, linux does not either, tried to find an alternative to HPUX 10/11 cant do it. No emulators either)

Back OT: I have not checked this came out yet, and have no idea what it is about. Will have to look into it though since it garners a topic here
    Last edited by Neuromancer; 10-06-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Trembledust View Post
    Ok definately need to test this game out myself. Thanks Wez! Question what resolution were you playing it, and what was your avg frame rate? Talk was game locks at 60.
    Cant believe I forgot to mention the resolution 1920x1200
    Didn't measure the fps, but it felt really smooth. Can check after work. (I do have it locked at 60 in the cfg)
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

I dont really care about exact FPS, just playable or not

Thanks
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    I dont really care about exact FPS, just playable or not

Thanks
    I'm a little bit of a fps whore so I'd actually care. lol.
    Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
    Asus EAH5870 (950 core)
    Silverstone ST1000-P PSU
    Lian Li X-500 Case