Gaming Performance: What really matters...

This is a discussion on Gaming Performance: What really matters... within the Video Games forums, part of the The Pub category; If you're a computer & gaming forums freak I'm fairly sure that you've seen people asking if buying a faster memory ( RAM ) kit ...

Register
Register Button
    Hell is freezing over ? BenchZowner's Avatar

Gaming Performance: What really matters...

If you're a computer & gaming forums freak I'm fairly sure that you've seen people asking if buying a faster memory ( RAM ) kit will give them more fps in their favorite games, others asking how to overclock their Sandy Bridge 2500K to 5GHz for 24/7 usage in order to "remove" the bottleneck placed by the CPU and to "unleash" their graphics card's performance beast.
    Not to forget the infamous "HyperThreading myth", I'm pretty sure that you've seen people claiming that you should disable Intel's HyperThreading if you game because you're losing some performance, etc etc.
    I've seen every little thing mentioned as a "game changer" without any facts, no proof, no testing done, nothing, just claims from various users on various forums.

I think it's time to find a crazy person to spend a few hours ( like 250 hours of testing :P ) to put everything to the test:

CPU Frequency with a single-GPU/VGA
    CPU Frequency with a multi-GPU setup/VGA
    CPU UnCore/NB Frequency
    Memory Frequency
    PCI-Express BUS Frequency
    HyperThreading: Enabled vs Disabled
    BCLK: Stock vs Higher ( same CPU, UnCore, RAM, etc clocks )
    Sound Card: On-board vs Add-on
    etc etc

That's what I did :P
    I used a couple of VGAs, CPUs, RAMs, Motherboards, Sound Cards, and games & game benchmarks in various frequencies, timings, etc.

What you get is... a 23 page article with some basic theory, ideas, and lots of test results.

If you're a gamer you REALLY NEED to read this, not tomorrow, NOW! ( don't worry, it won't disappear, you can read it tomorrow, and the day after that, and the next day )

So... grab a cup of coffee or your favorite energy drink, and read the article now by clicking... here :P

p.s. Yes, the link says Part 1, there will be a 2nd part, can't tell you when though ( because I don't know when it will be ready )

Your questions, ideas, input is always welcome and really appreciated

TR Staff
    Spam

Joking Bill Looks like a good read, I'll check it out on my next day of work ....right now I need to play some BF3 on my 2600K @ 5.1GHz and tri-SLI GTX 580
    The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

Heat Team IRONMODS

Hell is freezing over ? BenchZowner's Avatar
    Haha

Get ready for some disconnections and annoying issues caused by the latest patch DICE released yesterday ( and yet, they didn't nerf the annoying tactical light ).

Thumbs up That's a whole lot of INFO!!!!

Well, Mr. BenchZowner... Great gaming article.. WOW, talk about a hole lot of writing, testing, research, ECT... A lot of great information to use. I tell ya, It was a lot more then just one cup of coffee reading that article. More like breakfast, 5 cups of coffee and then lunch before I finished it.
    ^^^ Yeah, I know,,, Slow Reader!!!

Either way, great, great article sir.
    Last edited by Rogue1266; 12-24-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    Case: CM:Storm Scout//MoBo:GigaByte-GA-MA785G-UD3H//CPU:AMD Phenom II x2 550 B.E / 3.8Ghz//Memory:8 Ghz of G-skill4x2DDR2/6400//GPU:Gigabyte-GVR6850C,1G,P RadeonHD,1ghz,256-bit GDDR5//HD's: 2 WD.BL & Gr. 640GB, H.DS.320GB//PSU:OCZ Fatal1ty 700wattFTI / ATX12v//Cooling:CM HyperN520 HSF//OS:Windows '7', Ult. 64bit//HP w2408h HDMI '24'inch