Watercooling questions

This is a discussion on Watercooling questions within the Water forums, part of the Cooling category; Looking at water cooling for next investment. Will be a motherboard/SSD reviewing platform as well as some gaming (maybe even a web browsing rig if ...

Register
Register Button

Watercooling questions

Looking at water cooling for next investment.

Will be a motherboard/SSD reviewing platform as well as some gaming (maybe even a web browsing rig if I can get power consumption low enough say 150W, but I doubt it pretty sure the pump and fans alone will make a big dent in that).

Got a case picked out (AZZA 9000 Genesis). It includes two hotswap bays (for SSD testing) and supports two internal rads. 480 and 240 rads respectively.

Aim is quietness so that will have an impact on what RADS I need to get obviously.

I might start with just a 2x120mm for CPU only and add a 4x120mm when I get a high end vid card with water block.

But I have two questions.

First. I want a waterblock that can handle socket swaps WITHOUT having to disassemble the loop. Not just AMD to AMD but AMD to Intel and various socket sizes in between, it should also be able to go up to socket 2011.

Second I want to get a 5.25" res+pump all in one unit (2-3 bays is fine). I want to build this loop with the intention of going dual rads and blocks in the future. I know nothing about this if its a bad move, or not. I have no intention of going dual GPU ever.

thanks for any tips
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

i have a rx 360, koolance dual pump/res and a bunch of GT14's
    the main thing is tubing when you keep removability in mind. i think ID 7/16 OD 5/8 would be optimal. it's a bit of a hassle to get on 1/2 fittings but most likely you won't need clamps and can almost be certain that it won't slip off.
    the tubing will allow you to leave slack without having to worry about kinks.
    i am a big fan of EK stuff and they are usually pretty decent in keeping up with new socket etc. swiftech comes to mind too.
    Codisha | Farm | F@H | Heat

Intel I7 920 @ 4.3 // ASUS 580 // ASUS Rampage III Extreme // 3x2GB Mushkin// Antec TPQ 1200w// Water Cooled

/*/ The TRN Modder's Club \*\

So... there is no such thing a universal water block? Everyone needs to have the hoses disconnected to change the mounting bracket?

I have done water before twice. Both times I dumped it because to switch from one socket to another I had to drain the loop to change the bracket on the CPU block. If that is still the case then I can skip the whole idea of water cooling I will just stick with big air.
    Beer drinking is like finger painting. When you are young, you do not care what you stick your fingers into as long as you got to do it. When you are older, eww Heineken? I really want a beer that comes from the factory skunked?

TRN Modder's Club

i had it also on a bench table. i just left enough slack so i could move it out the way. most newer blocks allow to switch between 1155/1156/1366 fairly. it becomes more tricky with the 2011, same with switching to amd.

Thats what I am worried about AMD* to 2011. There was one block that looked like it had swappable crescents but not positive. Even a third party truly universal plate would be fine.

*Plus whatever AMD moves to next.

TRN Modder's Club

yea, it's kind of hard to make a one-size-fits-all mounting right now. so many changes in sockets and all are very different. the danger den TDX has a universal top but i don't think it includes the newer sockets.
    i would go with the ek supreme

With IB and upcoming IB-E I think it will become more universal.

TRN Modder's Club

Remove Ads