WCG/BOINC Easy Install Guide

This is a discussion on WCG/BOINC Easy Install Guide within the World Community Grid Team forums, part of the Distributed Computing Teams category; Originally Posted by 123bob Where in task mgr are you seeing it? I'm not seeing anywhere that it says 32 bit on my taskmgr, running ...

Register
Register Button
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    Where in task mgr are you seeing it? I'm not seeing anywhere that it says 32 bit on my taskmgr, running 64 bit BOINC on 64 bit Vista.

File mgr shows it installed in the regular "program files" directory, not the "Program files X86" directory.

Bob

I have it installed on a separate disk, but that shouldn't make a difference should it?
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

OK, I see what your'e talking about now. Good Catch!! I see the same thing on mine. I didn't have the "task image" column stretched out far enough to see it before...

I think this is because the WUs are actually 32 bit. I'll verify this with my teammates at XS and link the thread here.

We have seen that running the 64 bit BOINC on 64 bit op system gives about a 10% production boost over running the 32 bit version. So there is an advantage to doing it even if the WUs are still 32 bit.

Bob

EDIT: Link to my post on the XS team forum, here.
    Last edited by 123bob; 06-22-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Come help cure Cancer, MS, AIDS, Dengue and other diseases.
    Heck, even help grow rice!
    Click here and join the TR WCG team! .....It won't hurt, honest!

Ahh, well that explains it, thanks man Been trying some older clients today and got the same thing with them. But everything should be in order then
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Yup, the XS thread confirms that we are actually crunching 32 bit Work Units. The manager is running 64 bit mode. So everything is running normal.

Good catch Wezz....

Bob

I joined to the team
    Is there a client for ATI cards? I have a CF and it'd be very useful.
    Sorry for my english =)

Terminator Administrator Archer's Avatar
    I use my ATI to fold as there was no client for ATI with Bionic that I could find, but there is a bionic client that will use the nVidia cards.

And welcome to the team!!!!!!
    Last edited by Archer; 07-01-2009 at 11:22 PM.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I use my ATI to fold as there was no client for ATI with Bionic that I could find, but there is a bionic client that will use the nVidia cards.

And welcome to the team!!!!!!
    Welcome to the team Warrior!! Your ATI card should be used to join our small folding team. Note that this is different from CRUNCHING WCG on your CPU. We have both teams working here, but they are two different things. We have a thread for folding issues and questions. I'm not much of an expert on ATI card setup for folding, but Archer seems to have it operating. I know ATI card folding can have some loading impacts on your CPU utilization. There are ways to make the CPU utilization low, thus optimizing your WCG AND you Stanford Folding efforts.

We can also get the gurus to come by and help us out if you are seeing trouble doing it.

Side note - I will place a 260-216 back on the TR folding team. I had pulled it to help on another effort I was working on.

To everyone, see the contest thread I put up on in the contest section. There is a bright shiny $100 USD bill to be had toward the end of August!!!....

Also, if English is an issue, let me know what your native language is, and we can arrange to provide information in your language too. This is a worldwide effort here. We don't want language to stop you from getting your machines running. I know people all over the world by crunching and folding. All the way from Hong Kong to Belgium, to the USA, and "down under".

Regards,
    Bob

Thanks Bob that 216 can help push us closer to the top 2% in the folding realm. I just wish my point count matched my WU count .
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver - Phenom II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 890GX GFX Bedroom PC - Athlon II X4 @ 3.6, 8GB Ram, 790GX GFX
    Entertainment Room HTPC & Madia/File Server - Pentium G6950 @ 3.5, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - i5 661 @3.7, 10GB Ram, 6770 GFX
    Entertainment Room Cinema - Brazos E350, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX (Projector) Game Rig - i5 2500K @ 4.5, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT

Ok I joined. When can I tell that it is working? I have a q6600 @ 3.825mhz crunching I think.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzt5 View Post
    Ok I joined. When can I tell that it is working? I have a q6600 @ 3.825mhz crunching I think.
    Give it a couple of days and points will accumulate also you should find your name on the team section on WCG when it updates.
    Current Active Fleet:

k thx. It says 3 hours till completion in my client.
    I didn't know I could find a cure for cancer that fast jk

When does it update normally?

are you dg991? As far as I know you should be able to log in with your user name ans PW.
    Last edited by Archer; 07-07-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    Current Active Fleet:

yup, i guess it showed up.

Cool! you will start seeing results in a day or two. You guys with these Intel systems are killing me I have a new quad on the way I hpoe that makes things better.
    Current Active Fleet:

Hmm, my cpu seems to be done working but I don't think I'm uploading the results or I am not connecting or something...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast