WCG/BOINC Easy Install Guide

This is a discussion on WCG/BOINC Easy Install Guide within the World Community Grid Team forums, part of the Distributed Computing Teams category; Welcome to the TR WCG crunching team! We are helping to find cures for many serious diseases by contributing our unused computer cycles to a ...

Register
Register Button
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

WCG/BOINC Easy Install Guide

Welcome to the TR WCG crunching team! We are helping to find cures for many serious diseases by contributing our unused computer cycles to a distributed computing effort. This involves signing up for an account at the World Community Grid (WCG) website. Then, you download and install a client application on your machine. This client is known as BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing). This client is very well behaved and you can even game with it on. A basic explanation of these details is in the "Breaking News" thread on our TR WCG sub forum.

I sincerely hope you will join us on this team and hope this guide helps you do it.

This guide will take you step by step through how to do this. There are many nuances, tips and tricks to be shared as we go along in this effort, but this is a good basic place to start.

This guide is mainly intended for XP and Vista, but I have a note below to help out MAC and Linux users. Don't let that stop you from getting your WCG account setup....

First off, and most importantly, I have to give credit and sincere thanks to one of my WCG teammates from XS. Mr "Hotwaxisbad" created most of the content in this post. He posted this up to help out our new recruits on the XS WCG team. He has generously allowed me to copy his post, customize it for TR, and post it here. Many Thanks to Hotwaxisbad!!

If you get stuck anywhere in this, please post or PM me. Comments, suggestions and improvements are also welcome.

OK, so here we go. Start out by going to the WCG home page here.

Following the pics and instructions below,
    You should see this;

We will install the BOINC client at a later time. Let's finish getting your WCG account set up. We'll keep going on the web page side of things.

OK, now at this point, you have configured the WCG web account side of things and joined our team. You can log off and exit the page. Don't forget your user name and password! To get back on, just go to the WCG page and log on.

Next we will install the BOINC client we downloaded earlier. Navigate over to where you downloaded it and run it.

IMPORTANT NOTE for those running 64 bit systems. The client we downloaded is the 32 bit version. While this will run, the 64 bit version is proven to be a better producer (about 10% better). You can get this version, and other versions right from the Berkley site here. Note you can also get MAC OS and Linux here too. Let me know if you run Linux. I can ask a few of our XS Linux gurus to come on over and help get you going. Crunching on Linux works very well.

Here we go...

A few notes on the next screenie. We do not install with the default of running the screen saver at this time. Later we can look at it for the neat 3D modeling picture, but not now. I have a note on this at the bottom of the guide.
    We run the protected app execution to allow BOINC to run without being logged on. This allows work to still be done if your power bumped or your machine hiccuped and reset. If you DON'T check this box, you will have to log on in order for BOINC to be allowed to run.
    EDIT: Another note on the protected app box. If you are planning on running GPUGrid on this machine, the box must be UNCHECKED in order for GPUGrid to run. At the time of this edit, GPUGrid won't run with the box checked. GPUGrid is a totally separate project from WCG that runs mostly on your nVidia GPU card. If you are NOT planning on running it, check the box. If you change your mind later, you must do a re-install. No real biggie, but just be aware of it. :END EDIT
    Finally, the "allow all users" allows BOINC to run no matter who is on the machine. That way, a particular profile won't disable your crunching.

After a few moments it will tell you it successfully attached, and start doing work. The "simple" view screen will show this.

The very first tip I will suggest is that you click "advanced view" on the client screen. This will get you more efficient production since your machine won't waste time producing the cool graphic. That is also why we don't run the screen saver when we installed.

Here's what the advanced view looks like. This screenie is from one of my meaner crunchers, a dual X5492. It's able to crunch 8 work units at the same time. It is water cooled, and is a demon at producing work...

Since the graphics look really cool and actually show the 3D crunching simulation taking place, by all means check it out until you get bored with it. Then turn it off to save those cycles for actually doing the work. The graphic is very useful when your friends, family, or chicks look at you funny when you say you're working on cancer cures. It's kind of neat and will exponentially raise your "geek esteem" in the eyes of others... The BOINC screen saver can be selected under your normal "display settings" in your control panel.

I sincerely hope you will join us on this team and hope this guide helps you do it.

Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by 123bob; 07-10-2009 at 08:27 AM.
    Come help cure Cancer, MS, AIDS, Dengue and other diseases.
    Heck, even help grow rice!
    Click here and join the TR WCG team! .....It won't hurt, honest!

OK, seeing a bunch of lurkers reading the thread.....Dive on in and join the team!! We could use the help.

Thx,
    Bob

F@H but not really?

This is not F@H, it's a different thing altogether. WCG uses the BOINC client, not the Stanford folding client. I also fold, but not here, at least not yet....

It is similar to folding in that the effort is to look for cures and treatments for a variety of diseases.

Bob

Honest questions:

1. Why do this instead of folding?
    2. Is BOINC a more efficient client then the Stanford client? Then it would make sense to switch over to the one that will cure diseases faster.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzt5 View Post
    Honest questions:

1. Why do this instead of folding?
    2. Is BOINC a more efficient client then the Stanford client? Then it would make sense to switch over to the one that will cure diseases faster.
    First off, both methods seem to be worthwhile. I do both, and run GPUGrid on top of that....

As far as TR, their is no reason we could not setup a folding team too. I started with WCG crunching, so it's what I know best. I just started folding a bit ago. I'd like to get one team running first. So far, we only have three members, we need more to keep a team going.

1. Why do this instead of folding? I find that the BOINC client is a bit more polished in terms of it's behavior on machines. It seems to be easier for me to manage. Realize that I have to manage 16 quads on various crunching and folding accounts. I find the hooks that BOINC put in place makes it a bit easier to manage.

It also appears that the scope of projects available on WCG is broader than F@H. This allows more diverse intrests to be served.

In fairness, the folding clients have been out for a lot longer, and BOINC benefitted from the lessons learned there. I know the folding clients are being steadily improved.

2. Is BOINC a more efficient client then the Stanford client? Then it would make sense to switch over to the one that will cure diseases faster. The question of "efficient" is a tough one since they are not doing the same thing. I don't think I could say one is more efficient than the other. I think the general opinion is that folding is not very efficient at it's CPU client folding, but very efficient on it's GPU folding client. WCG is really efficient on it's CPU crunching, but does not offer GPU crunching yet. (Note that GPU BOINC crunching is available on GPUGrid. It may be available on WCG someday too.)

So, I crunch WCG on my CPUs, fold on some of the same machine's GPUs, and crunch GPUGrid on other machine's GPUs.

As to "cure diseases faster", it depends on what diseases you have an interest in curing. For some, the MS or AIDS projects at WCG may be more important to them. Therefore, they work WCG. Some may see the cancer cure potential greater with folding, over the two cancer project at WCG. Therefore, folding may be better for them.

Question for you....Have you folded before? Ever crunched WCG? You can do both on the same machine.....

Regards,
    Bob

Ah that sounds good. Crunch on a quad, and fold on a gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzt5 View Post
    Ah that sounds good. Crunch on a quad, and fold on a gpu.
    You got it. This makes lots of work get done...

@ Archer, Please sticky this thread. It's important to have at the top.

Thx,
    Bob

As for folding and crunching, I have a question. I tried it with my pair of 3870 gpus. It slowed my crunching way down. I am running XP 64 if that helps. Any tips to get it to work better?

Quote Originally Posted by Lu523 View Post
    As for folding and crunching, I have a question. I tried it with my pair of 3870 gpus. It slowed my crunching way down. I am running XP 64 if that helps. Any tips to get it to work better?
    I know ATI cards have some peculiarities. It is possible to get them running efficiently though. I run all nVidia for folding so I don't know much about it. Jcool may know more?

I would suggest we can handle getting help in two ways.

1. Go over to the XS team and look around there. I've seen a number of threads about getting ATI cards optimized.

2. I can ask a couple of the experts to come over here.

LMK which way you want to go.

I did notice that I'm the only one putting up points on folding. I was about to pull that GPU and put it on GPUGrid. It's a 260-216 and would do well on GPUGrid. So, another alternative would be to put your cards on XS folding? I also have some over there.

Regards,
    Bob

P.S. Thx for the sticky..

Doh, think I missed to check the "protected app execution" when installing the client at work.. a bummer as the rig is logged out far more often than logged in.
    Is a reinstall needed, or can it be changed in any other way?
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    Doh, think I missed to check the "protected app execution" when installing the client at work.. a bummer as the rig is logged out far more often than logged in.
    Is a reinstall needed, or can it be changed in any other way?
    I don't know of anyway to change it other than re-installing it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    I don't know of anyway to change it other than re-installing it.

Bob
    Ah well, its done quickly. Should see a lot more coming from that rig in the next few days then

Btw, anyone running the 64bit client? Trying to get it running at home on Vista 64. But seems like its still running in 32bit mode if I are to believe the windows task manager
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8120
    AMD HD 6950 2gb x 2
    4x4gb HyperX T1
    SB X-Fi Titanium

OCZ Vertex 2

3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    Ah well, its done quickly. Should see a lot more coming from that rig in the next few days then

Btw, anyone running the 64bit client? Trying to get it running at home on Vista 64. But seems like its still running in 32bit mode if I are to believe the windows task manager
    Where in task mgr are you seeing it? I'm not seeing anywhere that it says 32 bit on my taskmgr, running 64 bit BOINC on 64 bit Vista.

File mgr shows it installed in the regular "program files" directory, not the "Program files X86" directory.

Bob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast